French Toast Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- MAPLE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Dash salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in maple syrup and salt. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with bacon if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake (calculated without bacon): 334 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 13, 2016
Ok, these are delicious. I picked this recipe because I needed to use up some leftover buttermilk and I already had everything else on hand. I didn't think they would actually taste like french toast, but they do! I made no changes to the cupcakes themselves. For the frosting, I tasted it after I made it and it didn't have much of a maple taste. I added in just a bit more maple syrup. I also cut the frosting recipe in half and thought that it was plenty. Instead of cooking bacon, I used real bacon pieces (packaged by Hormel). These were even better after I had them in the fridge for a while. SOOOO good! I will definitely make these again.
Jul 17, 2015
These yummy looking cupcakes are so moist. The bacon is what makes the recipe in my opinion. I took a cupcake to my Mother-in-law while visiting her. She liked them so much she asked for the recipe. I used 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg since I don't care a lot for the taste. A little tip - the batter is very thin, not like most cupcake recipes that I have made.
Oct 12, 2014
The cupcakes themselves were mouthwatering! I made 3 dozen of them for my co-workers and they were gone in minutes. However I could not get the frosting to set right at all. I tried adding more sugar, cornstarch, and egg white. Nothing I did would thicken it up. It tasted great but it was a runny mess. After 3 or 4 attempts I gave up made a basic vanilla butter cream and added maple syrup
Apr 7, 2014
Yum! Just made these. They are super light, tender, delicious. Taste like a delicate spice cake. For some reason my frosting was a bit grainy even though I whipped a lot and it tasted mostly of powdered sugar so I added a little kefir cheese (think cream cheese). It contrasts nice with the sweet cake. Next time I will cut down on the sugar in both frosting and cake. The bacon is nice but the are good without it or even without frosting. My favorite would be a browned butter glaze.
Apr 3, 2014
My boyfriend said these were by far the best cupcakes I've made in the past 6 months. I have to agree with him. It's just an awesome recipe. The ingredients just complimented each other so well. I will probably make them again tomorrow.
Apr 3, 2014
These cupcakes are so good. My family thought they would be great for breakfast.
Apr 1, 2014
Very moist and delicious! Everyone at work raved over them. Would be great served at a brunch.
Mar 2, 2014
These are excellent! Served them with Eggs in Muffin Cups and they complimented each other well. Perfect with or without the bacon on top. My husband drizzled maple syrup over his and all I heard was "mmmmmmmmmmmmm."
Feb 27, 2014
Made these today..... They turned out very good. I made them as the recipe stated... Will make them again. Next time I may use the mini pans as another reviewer stated. That sounds like a good idea.
Feb 26, 2014
Do you use solid or liquid shortening in the frosting?