Jalapeno Popper Corn Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in corn and jalapeno.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place bread crumbs on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 2-3 minutes or until toasted. Cool. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with toasted bread crumbs and jalapeno slices. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 380 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 13, 2014
I guess I would be more impressed if these weren't pretty much my cornmeal muffins, plus frosting. I have been making my cornmeal muffins with thawed frozen corn and a can of green chilis for as long as I can remember. The taste is pretty much the same, but with standard cream cheese frosting. If I were to make them again, I would probably try them as mini cupcakes. Also, this makes way too much frosting. I had enough leftover for probably another half batch.
Feb 12, 2014
These are awesome! Frosted or not, these cupcakes are great! Recipe is easy, using everyday low cost pantry items. I used a mini-muffins tin to create appetizers. I plan to make these for my daughters wedding buffet!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.