Sweet Cherry French Toast
You’ll be proud to serve this tasty brunch bake from Elisa Lochridge, Beaverton, Oregon. The cherry topping and dollop of yogurt make each bite a special treat.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- CHERRY TOPPING:
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- Vanilla yogurt
- Place the bread in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, syrup, sugar, orange zest and salt. Pour over bread; turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In another large bowl, combine the cherries, orange juice and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer bread slices to another greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Discard any remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir in the reserved cherry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over French toast; drizzle with yogurt.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 513 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 330mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Baked French Toast with Cherry Topping in Taste of Home April/May 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.