Nutty French Toast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon; pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and syrup until smooth; spread over bread. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 783 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 267mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Apr 7, 2018
Excellent! An Easter breakfast hit. I thought it was going to be really sweet but surprising not as sweet as you would think. Easy to make but it looked like you slaved in the kitchen. I could see sprinkling bacon crumbles on top for a sweet salty savory taste.
May 9, 2016
Everything I like in a recipe: easy, simple ingredients, quick, make ahead, and delicious! I think it was even better reheated in the microwave.
Feb 15, 2016
Super easy and delicious. I used maple syrup instead of corn syrup (I didn't have corn syrup) - turned out great.
Jan 17, 2013
I usually make this for the Mom's group I attend when we have our special Christmas Brunch. Everyone loves it! I prefer to use pecans instead of walnuts. If there are leftovers, they I just reheat in the microwave...it's still yummy!
Jan 17, 2010
I also made this and took to work - within an hour, it was almost gone! People really loved it!
Dec 23, 2009
I have made this recipe and taken it to work. My co-workers loved it. When I make it for work again I will leave off the nuts because of a co-worker's nut allergy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.