Nutty French Toast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon; pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and syrup until smooth; spread over bread. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 783 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 267mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 97g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 7, 2018
Excellent! An Easter breakfast hit. I thought it was going to be really sweet but surprising not as sweet as you would think. Easy to make but it looked like you slaved in the kitchen. I could see sprinkling bacon crumbles on top for a sweet salty savory taste.
May 9, 2016
Everything I like in a recipe: easy, simple ingredients, quick, make ahead, and delicious! I think it was even better reheated in the microwave.
Feb 15, 2016
Super easy and delicious. I used maple syrup instead of corn syrup (I didn't have corn syrup) - turned out great.
Jan 17, 2013
I usually make this for the Mom's group I attend when we have our special Christmas Brunch. Everyone loves it! I prefer to use pecans instead of walnuts. If there are leftovers, they I just reheat in the microwave...it's still yummy!
Jan 17, 2010
I also made this and took to work - within an hour, it was almost gone! People really loved it!
Dec 23, 2009
I have made this recipe and taken it to work. My co-workers loved it. When I make it for work again I will leave off the nuts because of a co-worker's nut allergy.