Oven French Toast with Nut Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or hickory nuts
- Fill a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish with bread slices to within 1/2 in. of top; set aside.
- In blender, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace; cover and process until blended. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until puffed and golden. (Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.)
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 749 calories, 44g fat (19g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 9, 2016
This recipe has been transcribed incorrectly form the originally published version -- I have the original book that it was in. There should only be 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of half-and-half. Everything else is correct. I've made this many times (using the correct amount of ingredients) and get rave reviews. I typically use pecans. Not a big fan of mace -- so I don't include it.
Mar 21, 2016
WAY too much liquid. The French Toast is soft and mushy. Baked it longer hoping it would firm up, but all I did was burn the topping.
Dec 25, 2014
It is a wonderful recipe but a 9 x 13 pan is not big enough. It spilled over onto the oven and made a big, smoky mess. You need to use a deep pan as a normal 9 x 13 will spill over.
Apr 16, 2012
I followed the recipe exactly and the french toast remained mush even after baking it for 2 hours, but the topping was very quite tasty.
Apr 2, 2012
I have made this recipe X10 for a church function and it got rave reviews.
May 30, 2010
This recipe is delicious. Who needs cinnamon rolls! My children LOVE this. I was worried that it was going to be sickly sweet. It isn't. It has become out special occassion breakfast. We like it with fruit salad and bacon or sausage. It is DELICIOUS.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.