Chocolate French Toast
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour half into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange 6 slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture. Place 1 piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread. Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mixture over all. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Toast sandwiches until golden brown on both sides. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 348 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 24, 2010
This was amazing! I halved the recipe because it was only made for two people. I also used regualar 100% whole wheat sandwich bread and Hershey's Extra Dark Chocolate to try and make it a tad healthier. This really hit the spot especially since I'm a huge chocolate lover.