Citrus Pineapple Coleslaw
A blue-ribbon recipe, this slaw was a winner in our state fair competition. Alaska is famous for its giant cabbages, but any garden-variety head will taste yummy dressed in citrusy pineapple and marshmallow bits.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Carrot curls, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount into the eggs. Return all to saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 160°. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Refrigerate.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, pineapple and marshmallows. Add dressing; toss to coat. Garnish with carrot curls if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 132 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Pineapple Coleslaw in Country Woman September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.