In our family, this is a must-have side dish for Christmas dinner. The colorful slaw combines sweet, crunchy and nutty ingredients with tongue-tingling results. It's such a refreshing counterpoint to our meaty main course. —Lyndsay Wells, Ladysmith, BC
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, apple, almonds and cherries; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, milk, applesauce, salt, paprika and pepper until blended. Pour over coleslaw mixture; toss to coat. Gently stir in mandarin oranges. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 234 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 10, 2017
What a delicious recipe! I didn't have any almonds on hand so I substituted cashews. My husband and I really enjoyed this coleslaw and I will definitely be making it again!