In our family, this is a must-have side dish for Christmas dinner. The colorful slaw combines sweet, crunchy and nutty ingredients with tongue-tingling results. It's such a refreshing counterpoint to our meaty main course. —Lyndsay Wells, Ladysmith, BC
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, apple, almonds and cherries; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, milk, applesauce, salt, paprika and pepper until blended. Pour over coleslaw mixture; toss to coat. Gently stir in mandarin oranges. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 234 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Christmas Coleslaw in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Jan 10, 2017
What a delicious recipe! I didn't have any almonds on hand so I substituted cashews. My husband and I really enjoyed this coleslaw and I will definitely be making it again!