My sister-in-law gave me this recipe over 50 years ago and it's still a hit at potluck dinners. I made it for company once, and they came by the next day with a large head of cabbage, hoping to exchange it for the recipe. -Joyce LeMonds, Castle Rock, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- In a bowl, combine the cabbage, peppers and onion. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, milk, salt, dill, paprika and pepper. Add to cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 263 calories, 23g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Coleslaw in Reminisce Extra August 2003
Sep 2, 2016
This is a great coleslaw recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will make this again.
Mar 10, 2013
This is a hit whenever I make it - I am now requested by our friends to "bring your coleslaw"!