Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/2 large head cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 69 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 1, 2014
I recall preparing this recipe when it first came out in Taste of Home! I did adjust this recipe by using 2 celery ribs, finely chopped, 1 head of green cabbage, shredded, 2 large carrots, shredded, 1 small onion, finely chopped, 1 green pepper, finely chopped. For dressing, I combined the following ingredients: 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. poppy seeds, 2 to 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper. I enjoy this sweet and sour flavor of this coleslaw! It reminded me of the "health salad" which was sold in supermarkets a long time ago! delowenstein
Apr 29, 2013
I've made this often with green cabbage, but, with red cabbage it is something special....
Jul 13, 2011
I used apple cider vinegar and olive oil. I have made several times and we like it. Also brought to church ladies meeting and had many requests for the recipe.
Nov 2, 2009
very clean taste. I made it as directed, but added 1 Tablespoon of miracle whip for an extra touch of tang. BIG hit with family & friends.