- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 375° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Traditional Lasagna
Sort By :
"This is hands down, the best lasagna I've ever tried. My family is crazy about it. Wonderful recipe!!"
"Made this for the first time tonight and loved it with a few changes. Made the meat my own way; adding onions, peppers and garlic to the meat and sausage mix and instead of tomato sauce and paste, I used a large jar of my favorite spaghetti sauce, which cut down the prep time. The rest I followed exactly. I let it rest for about 1 hour, before cutting into it and just reheated pieces in the microwave. This was a real hit at my home and I had plenty left over for the next day. Definitely will be making this again and may try adding hard boiled eggs to the meat this time."
"This lasagna was awesome if you are a cheese lover this is the recipe for you. I added chopped onion and mushrooms in and let them saute with the meat because I like more than just meat in my sauce and the flavor was to die for! Hands down best lasagna I have ever made:)"
"I've made at least 50 different versions of lasagna, this is hands down, the best by far. I followed the recipe."
"Yummy!!! My family requests this at least once a month if not twice. Love it!"