My husband loves to cook Mexican dishes. I'm more of an Italian-style cook, and the joke in our house is that I should leave all the Mexican cooking to him. HOWEVER, this dish of mine turned out so amazing my husband fell in love! It's all in the meat. If you can get an all-natural pork shoulder, it really makes a difference. —Chelsea Wickman, Painesville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder roast (5 to 7 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub all sides with spice mixture. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, stock, lime juice and peppers; pour around meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; skim fat. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat and return to slow cooker; heat through.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Top with 1 tablespoon creme fraiche and 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.Freeze option: Place shredded pork in freezer containers; top with juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth if necessary.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 filled tortilla: 479 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Mama's Carnita's in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019