Stewed Zucchini and Tomatoes
Zucchini, tomatoes and green peppers star in this make-ahead dish that offers a fresh take on traditional vegetable sides. Bubbly cheddar cheese adds a down-home feel. —Barbara Smith, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2/3 cup condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- Place zucchini in a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer with onion, green pepper and tomatoes. In a small bowl, combine the soup, basil and remaining salt and pepper; spread over tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 126 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Zucchini-Tomato Casserole in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012