Coleslaw with a touch of heat makes a zesty side for barbecued chicken or pork. I also pile it on fish tacos and po'boys. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 6 radishes, halved and sliced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and seasonings. Pour over coleslaw mixture; toss to coat.
- Refrigerate, covered, until serving. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 114 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Sep 4, 2017
Perfect the way it is. I took it to a BBQ and everyone wanted the recipe.
May 3, 2015
I made this for a family dinner and was it ever a hit! This is probably the best tasting coleslaw I've ever had!