Mama’s Puerto Rican Chicken
My mom has a vast repertoire of recipes, and this extra-crispy, spiced-up chicken is the best one of the bunch. We love it served with a side of traditional red beans and rice. —Edwin Robles, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs with remaining garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken pieces in flour to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in eggs, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in butter. Add chicken in batches; cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 421 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 152mg cholesterol, 507mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Mar 12, 2019
Very good spice
Jan 13, 2019
Loved all of the seasonings. Followed the recipe to a tee. The recipe was easy to follow. Chicken was crispy on the outside, yet very moist. I will definitely make again.
Dec 12, 2018
This was delicious!