Pancetta and Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breast
I was inspired by a stuffed chicken Marsala dish I had at a restaurant and wanted to come up with my own version using a different flavor profile. —Ashley Laymon, Lititz, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 slices pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto; layer with one slice pancetta and a fourth of the mushroom mixture. Fold chicken in half, enclosing filling; secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 30-35 minutes. Discard toothpicks before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed chicken breast half: 420 calories, 25g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Flavor-Packed Stuffed Chicken Breast in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.