Chicken Cutlets with Mushroom Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 to 3 drops browning sauce, optional
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the green onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, tarragon and remaining pepper. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine or additional broth until smooth. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Serve sauce over chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 169 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 24, 2014
Excellent. Fancy taste (used thyme and rosemary instead of tarragon).
Jun 8, 2013
This was great! Easy to prepare. I made it as written except that I omitted the garlic. My guests loved it and wanted the recipe.
Apr 26, 2010
I used thyme instead of tarragon. I didn't have any on hand, and it tasted pretty fantastic!
Mar 25, 2010
This recipe was very good. I would certainly make it again. Nice with mashed potatoes and stir fried vegetables.
Apr 8, 2008
3 ww points
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.