Chicken Cutlets with Mushroom Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 to 3 drops browning sauce, optional
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the green onion and garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, tarragon and remaining pepper. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine or additional broth until smooth. Stir into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Serve sauce over chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 169 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 24, 2014
Excellent. Fancy taste (used thyme and rosemary instead of tarragon).
Jun 8, 2013
This was great! Easy to prepare. I made it as written except that I omitted the garlic. My guests loved it and wanted the recipe.
Apr 26, 2010
I used thyme instead of tarragon. I didn't have any on hand, and it tasted pretty fantastic!
Mar 25, 2010
This recipe was very good. I would certainly make it again. Nice with mashed potatoes and stir fried vegetables.
Apr 8, 2008
3 ww points