Flavorful Green Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and parsley in oil and butter for 1 minute or until tender. Add rice; cook over medium heat until rice is coated with oil and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, cayenne and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 240 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 505mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 25, 2013
I have a family of 7 with 5 kids aged 23-14 so I usually have to double all recipes. In doubling it, I had only 2 bunches of green onions, so I added a large chopped onion. I also left out the cayenne. It was delicious. I am making it again tonight. I have decided also that in the near future I will make a very large batch of this and freeze for quick meals. Another thing I thought about doing is adding boneless chicken to the recipe for a one-dish meal. I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks!
Dec 25, 2012
We enjoyed this. I did substitute dried parsley and cut back slightly on the cayenne which still gave the rice a bit of a kick! It's a nice side dish.
Aug 17, 2011
This has become a family favorite side dish. It's just wonderful!