Cheesy Green Rice
I like to serve this dish at Thanksgiving and Christmas - or for that matter, anytime we have guests. It's a "no-fail" recipe.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, parsley, 1/3 cup cheese, onion, green pepper and garlic. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, lemon juice and peel, salt, seasoned salt and pepper. Stir into the rice mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 310 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Green Rice in Country Extra November 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.