My mom and I transformed plain rice by adding feta, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and cayenne. We wound up with a sweet and spicy crowd-pleaser. —Lisa de Perio, Dallas, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour over rice in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook pumpkin seeds, brown sugar and cayenne pepper, stirring constantly until sugar melts and cayenne coats pumpkin seeds, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a plate, spreading out seeds to cool. Sprinkle cooked rice with feta, mint, cranberries and spiced pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 244 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Festive Rice in Taste of Home December 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.