My mom and I transformed plain rice by adding feta, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and cayenne. We wound up with a sweet and spicy crowd-pleaser. —Lisa de Perio, Dallas, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, bring first 5 ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour over rice in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook pumpkin seeds, brown sugar and cayenne pepper, stirring constantly until sugar melts and cayenne coats pumpkin seeds, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a plate, spreading out seeds to cool. Sprinkle cooked rice with feta, mint, cranberries and spiced pumpkin seeds.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 244 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Festive Rice in Taste of Home December 2016