This delicious dish is filled with eye-appealing colors and taste that makes even a large batch disappear fast. It's easy to assemble and pop in the oven.—Rita Wilken, Bloomfield, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 35 min.
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) small pitted ripe olives, drained
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the next eight ingredients.
- Divide between two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Stir 2 cups of water into each pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 134 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 21, 2019
Good group recipe made several times first following recipe exactly. Felt it needed more water about 3/4 cup more per pan. Needs the 2 tsp of chili powder. For non olive fans make one pan with the olives