Hearty Turkey & Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, baked tortilla chips and sliced ripe olives
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles. Add salsa, tomato sauce, bouillon and salt; heat through.
- Serve with rice, cheese, sour cream and, if desired, toppings of your choice. Freeze option: Freeze cooled turkey mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup turkey mixture with 3/4 cup rice (calculated without optional toppings): 354 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 732mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Sep 8, 2014
This was great! I used regular tomato sauce and bouillon so I didn't add the additional salt. I also used a combination of leftover black bean and corn salsa and sweet onion salsa. I added a few tortilla strips on top of the cheese and sour cream.
Feb 4, 2011
We tried this tonight with some "oops - forgot you were in the freezer" left over turkey from Thanksgiving. As it cooked we got the idea to put it (with the rice, cheese, sour cream and tomato) on whole wheat tortillas and make a burrito out of it. Yum! Definitely will make again!
Jan 4, 2010
I really enjoyed this recipe. Made plenty for leftovers the next day. I'm thinking of adding black beans to the next go round!
Jan 3, 2010
I used some cubed leftover turkey, it was just wonderful (and a little faster!)
Jan 1, 2010
soooo easy and delicious. I will make it often!! Thanks for sharing , Laurie
Nov 18, 2009
Delicious! This was a perfect meal for a cold fall night.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.