Turkey Rice Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the onion, celery and butter. Cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 3 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir in milk. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 minutes or until milk is steaming (do not boil). Stir in rice. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add the turkey, soup, stuffing cubes, chilies and 1/2 cup cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 3-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 294 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 1, 2019
I used all of the ingredients from this recipe only cooking on top of the stove and finishing it in the oven. We loved it, what a great use for leftover turkey.
Oct 5, 2019
This is a tasty unique recipe. I made a several changes to this recipe only because I live a half hour from a store and didn't have milk so used water with Wyler's chicken granules. I also can't get by with using onions for hubby so used granulated onion. I had an opened container of French fried onions so used those up. I don't use instant rice so cut the water to 1 c. and used COOKED basmati. I bake in the oven till bubbly. Even with the changes I don't feel I changed the flavor of the original recipe. The flavors were delicious. Definitely will make again!!!!
Sep 30, 2019
Great way to use left over turkey. Didnt use the microwave though, Sauteed onion and celery then baked the whole thing at 350 uncovered for 35 min. Used wild rice, added poultry seasoning, and cumin. Will make again.
Nov 30, 2013
Loved by all and TONS of flavor! It definitely is a great use of leftover turkey as you can't even tell that is what is in it. YUMMY! We used stuffing mix uncooked. PERFECT RECIPE TO USE UP THE LEFTOVERS!
Nov 29, 2010
This is a bit bland if you like more spice in your food. Other than that it has very good texture. I added some chicken stock to moisten up a bit and baked in oven for 1/2hr. at 350.
Dec 3, 2008
I've been preparing this recipe since it came out in the magazine. It's definitely a family favorite, easy and delicious. Stuffing mix works well in this recipe too.