Wild Turkey Rice Bake
Wild rice, turkey and vegetables are combined in a savory sauce and topped with golden crumbs in this hearty dish from Margaret Hill of Roanoke, Virginia. "Cooked wild turkey can be a little dry, but not when it's prepared this way," she assures. "I never have leftovers."
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 3-1/2 cups cubed cooked wild turkey
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Prepare rice according to package directions; place in a large bowl. Dissolve bouillon in hot water; add to rice. Stir in the turkey, celery, soup, water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion and soy sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 279 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1332mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 12, 2012
My husband loves this recipe! I ate one serving, he ate the rest before I could pack up the left overs for my lunch the next day! This is a wonderful way to use left over turkey!