Low-Fat Wild Rice Turkey Salad
This tasty turkey salad from Meredith Berg of Hudson, Wisconsin offers a wonderful blend of flavors. With sweet grapes and apples, a dash of cinnamon and crunchy vegetables, it’ll appeal to young and old alike.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1-1/2 cups green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped red apple
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, salt and cinnamon; stir into turkey mixture until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in apple. Serve in a lettuce-lined bowl; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 279 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Turkey-Wild Rice Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2006