French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Casserole(29)
Sort By :
Made this for my Church family and they loved it!! So easy and so yummy!
This was an easy recipe for using up day old white bread. I followed the recipe except i dint add the salt and it was good! Thanks for the recipe :-) Will definitely use again!!
This is fabulous! I registered with Taste of Home just so I could give this recipe the praise it deserves. Absolutely amazing and so easy. I was looking for a make ahead french toast recipe. I found several, but this one really stood out and the reviews for it were good. I made this exactly as the recipe states. I used Challah bread and I had people asking me for the recipe, which I gladly supplied. I baked at 350 just like the recipe states for 45 min. and it was perfect. Not soggy at all, not too dry either. Perfect...thanks for sharing this recipe.
Printed this out a couple of months ago, finally made it this weekend. Excellent! I would make it again for sure. I used the tip of a previous reviewer and put the bread mixture into a gallon sized ziplock bag and put into fridge over night. Poured into the greased baking pan next morning, easy. Next time I would double the cinnamon and maybe add some nutmeg, but we like those flavors. Otherwise very good. Also reheats well in microwave if you have leftovers. A keeper!
Awesome!! This was really tasty. I followed another reviewer's suggestion and did not use all of the liquid. I probably used 3/4 of it though. At the end of the baking time called for, I uncovered and baked for about 10 minutes longer. I did this to crisp the top and to avoid the mushy center some talked about. Turned our perfect!
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Low Fat Breakfast Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >
- Mother's Day Breakfast Recipes >
- Simple Breakfast Recipes >