- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Maple syrup, optional
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with maple syrup if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Casserole
Sort By :
"This is an awesome/ "always a hit" recipe. Doesn't even really need syrup, it's that good.I'm seeing comments about it being soggy & salty. Mine was too the first few times I tried it but try these tips.First, do not add any salt (it's optional really).Second, if you buy the sale/ soon to expire bread at the bakery that helps (& it's usually cheaper!). Also, cube the bread & let it sit out to dry for a bit. Toss it occasionally to dry it out on all sides. It really helps with the sogginess.Lastly, I like to add the cinnamon/ sugar the night before (really, the butter can go on at that time as well). It helps the casserole absorb the flavors more in my opinion.Since trying these tips, it's very rare that the center remains unevenly cooked compared to the edges but when that happens I just cook it slightly longer with the foil removed."
"Take out 2 eggs and a cup of milk. You dont want it to be soggy. You can add some cream cheese chunks and raisins to add some flavor. It taste pretty good if you bake it with some maple syrup on top but its ok too have it on the side too."
"This was good but was soggy/moist in the middle. Next time I will try in one pan size bigger. Also, be sure to add extra topping as this adds extra flavor. This was very forgiving with being able to stay in the oven longer to stay warm while rest of meal was finished."
"Loved it! Will make again."
"Salty, gross, soggy in the middle. Very unhappy with this recipe."