French Toast Bake Recipe
- 12 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Arrange bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle pecans over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining sugar; drizzle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for French Toast Bake
Sort By :
Good and easy recipe. But i feel that the egg mixture is little less. May be 8 eggs and 4 cups milk? I used half a challah loaf but the mixture did not immerse the bread.
I've made this for Christmas Brunch 2 years in a row. This will be the 3rd year as I've had many requests for it. The entire family loves it - great recipe and can be conveniently made ahead.
I made this recipe twice already.Its really good with vanilla ice cream and custard. Thumbs up
I made this for Christmas morning and although everyone really liked the flavor, the bottom was soggy to the point that you could pour out a lot of extra liquid and the tops of the bread was so crunchy hard that it was almost inedible. I had to stand the bread up to get it all to fit in the pan so that may have a lot to do with it. Good flavor but I will continue to search for another similar recipe.
While I thought this dish had a great flavor and looked beautiful coming out of the oven, my husband and kids gave it a thumbs down. They didn't care for the "mushy" bread.