Now that we have kids, my husband and I don't entertain much. But when we do, I serve this savory spread. The combination of goat cheese, garlic and onions always earns rave reviews. —Carol Barlow, Berwyn, Illinois
Recommended: 40 Ways to Love Roasted Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 ounces crumbled goat or feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Thinly sliced French bread or assorted crackers
- Place garlic and oil in a pie plate. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender and lightly browned. Add brown sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Remove garlic from pie plate. Spread onion mixture in pie plate; top with cheese. Place garlic over cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Mash garlic mixture with a fork. Stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with basil. Serve warm with French bread or crackers. Yield: about 1-1/4 cups.
Originally published as Roasted Goat Cheese with Garlic in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p40