Bernie’s Pork Chop Sandwiches
My aunt worked in Butte, Montana, and whenever we visited we had pork chop sandwiches. This recipe is a take on that old favorite. —Jeanette Kotecki, Billings, Montana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (3 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and warmed
- Thinly sliced onion, optional
- Pickle slices, optional
- Prepared mustard, optional
- Place cornmeal in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix flour and spices; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pound chops with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; season with salt and pepper.
- In two batches, heat oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat chops with cornmeal. Dip in batter, allowing excess to drip off; place in skillet. Cook until golden brown, 2-4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve in buns, topping with remaining ingredients as desired.