Bernie’s Pork Chop Sandwiches
My aunt worked in Butte, Montana, and whenever we visited we had pork chop sandwiches. This recipe is a take on that old favorite. —Jeanette Kotecki, Billings, Montana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 boneless pork loin chops (3 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and warmed
- Thinly sliced onion, optional
- Pickle slices, optional
- Prepared mustard, optional
- Place cornmeal in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, mix flour and spices; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pound chops with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; season with salt and pepper.
- In two batches, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat chops with cornmeal. Dip in batter, allowing excess to drip off; place in skillet. Cook until golden brown, 2-4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve in buns, topping with remaining ingredients as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 476 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 564mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Bernie's Pork Chop Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.