- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with ribs and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Short Ribs
"Made this for Christmas dinner. First time I ever made short ribs. I had to modify the recipe because I was making it at my elderly mother's house and had a change of plans and didn't arrive there until early Christmas afternoon. So made meal in my large pressure cooker instead of slow cooker. Followed early directions but cooked it on high pressure I believe for half an hour. Came out perfect. Tasty and oh so tender. My 91 year old mother who has difficulty chewing most types of meat had no trouble chewing the ribs. Didn't have time to make the potatoes but started the meal with quick tortellini and spinach and white bean soup. (Another TOH recipe.)"
"Loved this recipe!! Added a lb of mushrooms! Split beef broth and red wine!!! The best!!!"
"The flavor is nothing short of AMAZING!!! I used the cooking red wine in the recipe and it is now one of my favorites!!!"
"Very good with rich broth.."
"Came out much better than expected, considering I am not knowing for my cooking skills :) Very tender, and very flavorful. For the red wine, I chose Pinot Noir. This will be a "frequent flyer" in our home, for sure."
"This is one of my favorite crockpot recipes for dinner. The definition of comfort food in the winter time, this one just is good for the soul. Will note: I usually don't remove the thyme/bay leaf - my mother never removed them when I was younger because she'd often freeze meals and said she wanted to keep the spices for reheating it later - just watch out when you go to eat!Glad to have these short ribs in my recipe rotation for the upcoming cold months."
"WOW! Make these! They're divine!"
"Loved the recipe. I will definitely use this recipe from now on."
"Recipe was good, Cooking time seemed too long. 2 hours less perhaps."