Slow Cooker Short Ribs Recipe
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown ribs in batches on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve ribs and vegetables with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Short Ribs(11)
Sort By :
We had bad cuts of meat.....my husband won't even let me try this again. Not the recipe's fault, but it turned him completely off.
What a flavorful dish! I only had pork roast on hand, but the dish still turned out great! The meat was very tender and savory!
I love short ribs. This recipe was perfect for a cold Upstate NY dinner !!!!!!!!!
For several years I have been looking for a good recipe for beef short ribs, and this is IT! Other recipes had weak flavor; reducing the red wine sauce in this recipe does the trick! Also, I cooked it the day before, chilled it overnight, and lifted off the congealed fat before reheating. This eliminated the huge amounts of grease that are an unfortunate trait of short ribs.
This recipe was wonderful! My family loved it. I did not change a thing.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Ribs >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Ribs >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Ribs >
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Beef Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Carrot Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Carb Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Tomato Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >