- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Lil Cheddar Meat Loaves
"We have been making cheddar loaves twice a month since the recipe first appeared in 1999. I like to add dry minced onion to the topping and a little Worcestershire, sometimes I make the loaves around a cube of sharp cheddar instead of grated because some of the grated cheese cooks out."
"No question about it, this is a great meatloaf recipe! Made according to directions. The mini idea made these cute and easy serving. In our opinion you could make half the sauce and still be delicious! As a volunteer field editor with Taste of Home I love preparing classic dishes with a new twist."
"These little meatloaves are tender and tasty. The sauce is sweet, which my kids love. I do wish I could have tasted the cheddar because I love cheese."
"My daughter said that this was her favorite meatloaf recipe. Sauce tasted great, and I love that this bakes much faster than a whole meatloaf."
"Easy and delish. The kids loved them too!"