Bacon & Cheese Filled Loaves
When I entered this bread for a Los Angeles County Fair contest...and I won third place! The braided, soft bread is wonderful served with a hot bowl of soup.—Marina Castle, Canyon Country, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 servings each)
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, cheese and bacon mixture. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Spoon half of the filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch both ends to seal.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush loaves with egg; sprinkle with parsley and poppy seeds. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Cheese, Bacon and Onion Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014