Bacon & Cheese Filled Loaves
When I entered this bread for a Los Angeles County Fair contest...and I won third place! The braided, soft bread is wonderful served with a hot bowl of soup.—Marina Castle, Canyon Country, California
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 servings each)
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, cheese and bacon mixture. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Spoon half of the filling lengthwise down center third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch both ends to seal.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush loaves with egg; sprinkle with parsley and poppy seeds. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cheese, Bacon and Onion Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.