Cheddar-Topped Barbecue Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut three 18x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oats, chopped pepper, onion, soup mix, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads at least 160°, 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue seasoning and mustard; pour over meat loaf and sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 356 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 1358mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 29, 2016
Really tasty! My kids love meatloaf so I am always looking for ways to change it up.
Nov 28, 2014
I really liked it but my husband didn't so I can't give it a 5 star. But it is the best meatloaf recipe I have used in a long time.
Nov 15, 2014
I made this yesterday and it is delicious - definitely a keeper! Thanks!
Nov 13, 2014
Excellent! Will make this many more times. I add mushrooms & 1 tablespoon maple syrup to mix.
Nov 13, 2014
This was an easy recipe and tasted delicious. I had to make my own barbecue seasoning (taste of home recipe) because I could not find it at the grocery store. When I make this again I will add a little bit of the seasoning to the meat loaf for extra flavor. Yummy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.