Cheddar-Topped Barbecue Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 large sweet red or green pepper, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut three 18x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on bottom and up sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oats, chopped pepper, onion, soup mix, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf. Place loaf in center of strips in slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until a thermometer reads at least 160°, 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue seasoning and mustard; pour over meat loaf and sprinkle with cheese. Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes. Using foil strips as handles, remove meat loaf to a platter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 356 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 1358mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 11, 2020
I was tired of the "same 'ol same 'ol" meatloaf and this recipe caught my eye. I am so glad I tried it! It is delicious and easy to make and the BBQ sauce and cheese are the perfect topper! I did a few things different. I made it in the oven (baked at 375 degrees F. for 60-70 minutes covered loosely, removed from over and spread BBQ sauce on top and sprinkled with cheese and baked another 10-15 minutes until cheese was melted.) Also, I used only 2 cloves of garlic instead of 3. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. My husband said I should give it a 10 star rating...... so, he really loved it! I will surely be making this again!
Apr 10, 2020
Onion soup mix is just onion flavored salt so why add 1/2 t salt??
Oct 30, 2018
I thot this was good but my husband really liked it.
Oct 10, 2018
This is similar to the meatloaf recipe on the Lipton's Onion soup package..except the Lipton's version is cooked in the oven - not slow cooker. It is one of our favorite meatloaf recipes
Sep 29, 2016
Really tasty! My kids love meatloaf so I am always looking for ways to change it up.
Nov 28, 2014
I really liked it but my husband didn't so I can't give it a 5 star. But it is the best meatloaf recipe I have used in a long time.
Nov 15, 2014
I made this yesterday and it is delicious - definitely a keeper! Thanks!
Nov 13, 2014
Excellent! Will make this many more times. I add mushrooms & 1 tablespoon maple syrup to mix.
Nov 13, 2014
This was an easy recipe and tasted delicious. I had to make my own barbecue seasoning (taste of home recipe) because I could not find it at the grocery store. When I make this again I will add a little bit of the seasoning to the meat loaf for extra flavor. Yummy!