You’ll love working with the dough, the cheesy surprise inside the crust and the jazzed-up sauce in this pie. —Scottie Orr-Wedeven, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 pieces string cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons oil and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. circle. Transfer to a greased 14-in. pizza pan, letting dough drape over the edge. Cut string cheese pieces in half lengthwise; place around edge of pan. Fold dough over string cheese; pinch to seal.
- Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Brush with remaining oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Spread over crust. Arrange pepperoni over top; sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 slices.
Originally published as Best-Ever Pepperoni Pizza in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p64
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Best-Ever Pepperoni Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review