Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine 2-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Drain pasta; add to sauce mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and remaining spaghetti sauce; pour over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 382 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1414mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 4, 2015
Have made this and it is a hit. So yummy and simple. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Mar 11, 2014
A favorite at our house since it was published in 1999! The only change I've made is substituting a 28-oz jar of Ragu Traditional Sauce for the combined spaghetti sauce , can of tomato sauce, & seasonings. Great recipe!
Feb 19, 2014
This recipe is delicious as is but the kids found the pepperoni to intense for their liking. So I changed it a little. While the noodles were cooking, I browned a pound of ground beef with the vegetables and half the pepperoni (which I chopped). This gives great flavor to the meat and seems to mellow the pepperoni. After draining the meat, I added the parmesan and sauces to the meat and then the noodles. In a 13 by 9 pan I cooked the casserole, covered for 45 minutes. I took it out of the oven, layered the rest of the pepperoni on top of the noodles and sprinkled on the mozzarella. I baked for another 15 minutes. Now everyone loves it.
Nov 29, 2012
Oct 29, 2011
Originally made this recipe in 1999 when it came out. The flavor is excellent. I cut the recipe in half becasue it does make a lot. This is also great for a pot luck.
Aug 31, 2011
This is really delicious! It makes a big batch too! I would add a little bit more of the spices next time, but overall it was great!
Dec 30, 2010
EXCELLENT; makes a ton
Apr 28, 2009
Everyone in my household loved this and asked me to put it in the "keeper" box.
Oct 11, 2008
I have made this easy, quick to prepare main dish for 8 years now...it is soooo simple to make from ingredients I have on hand. I usually lighten it up a bit by using turkey pepperoni and reduced fat cheese..still, with great results!