Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine 2-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Drain pasta; add to sauce mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and remaining spaghetti sauce; pour over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 382 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1414mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 4, 2015
Have made this and it is a hit. So yummy and simple. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Mar 11, 2014
A favorite at our house since it was published in 1999! The only change I've made is substituting a 28-oz jar of Ragu Traditional Sauce for the combined spaghetti sauce , can of tomato sauce, & seasonings. Great recipe!
Feb 19, 2014
This recipe is delicious as is but the kids found the pepperoni to intense for their liking. So I changed it a little. While the noodles were cooking, I browned a pound of ground beef with the vegetables and half the pepperoni (which I chopped). This gives great flavor to the meat and seems to mellow the pepperoni. After draining the meat, I added the parmesan and sauces to the meat and then the noodles. In a 13 by 9 pan I cooked the casserole, covered for 45 minutes. I took it out of the oven, layered the rest of the pepperoni on top of the noodles and sprinkled on the mozzarella. I baked for another 15 minutes. Now everyone loves it.
Nov 29, 2012
Oct 29, 2011
Originally made this recipe in 1999 when it came out. The flavor is excellent. I cut the recipe in half becasue it does make a lot. This is also great for a pot luck.
Aug 31, 2011
This is really delicious! It makes a big batch too! I would add a little bit more of the spices next time, but overall it was great!
Dec 30, 2010
EXCELLENT; makes a ton
Apr 28, 2009
Everyone in my household loved this and asked me to put it in the "keeper" box.
Oct 11, 2008
I have made this easy, quick to prepare main dish for 8 years now...it is soooo simple to make from ingredients I have on hand. I usually lighten it up a bit by using turkey pepperoni and reduced fat cheese..still, with great results!