Pepper Sausage Pizza
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast and sugar. Add water; beat until smooth. Add the oil, salt, dried basil, pepper, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 cups flour; beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high 30 seconds or just until wilted. Uncover and set aside.
- Press dough into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with pizza sauce; sprinkle with 2-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, sausage, onion, spinach, mushrooms and yellow pepper. Top with remaining Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning. Bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired. Cut into squares.
May 11, 2011
I just have to say that this pizza is awesome. I love that it has spinach on it as one of the toppings. I made this for my children and they loved it. They said that they will eat spinach this way only. Hey what ever it takes to get them to eat veggies I'm all for it.