Chicago-Style Deep-Dish Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 pizzas (8 slices each)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, well drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil and pepper
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 48 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, sugar and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 11-in. circle. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of two greased 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillets. Sprinkle each with 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Spoon 1-1/2 cups over each pizza. Layer each with half of the sausage, pepperoni and mushrooms; 1 cup mozzarella; and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 450° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned, about 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 407 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 872mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 12, 2019
I thought this was too much tomato paste so I used only half of the amount suggested. And I preheated the skillet so it was sizzling hot. Glad I did. Gives a nice crispness to the bottom. Thanks for the recipe.
Jun 16, 2019
Very satisfying! I added extra tomato sauce, sliced onions, red pepper and green pepper
Apr 10, 2019
I've made this several times.......outstanding!!!
Sep 28, 2018
This sounded so good I had to try it. I used a cast iron skillet and a cast iron griddle with raised edges. There are four of us and my daughter-in-law just had to pick out the mushrooms. The rest of us like the 'shrooms so we were fine with them. Delicious! Will most certainly have this again. Thanks for a 5-star pizza that I didn't have to order!
Sep 28, 2018
Great Recipe. Nice to see folks try the true chicago deep dish (rather than thick crust pizza that others believe to be chicago style) I would say this recipe is almost perfect with one exception....in Chicago they would put the canned tomatoes on top of the pie, last ingredient, rather than on the bottom as traditional pizza would. This allows the crust to crisp a bit more and the result resembles a pie. I omitted the sauce and paste and just used the canned tomatoes on top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on top after it came out of the oven. Great idea using the two cast iron skillets.
Nov 3, 2017
Made this tonight. Rarely do I comment on a recipe that I change in any way. I did not change the ingredients, but I did not use 2 skillets, I only had one large one that was oven proof. The pizza tasted very good but it was a disaster serving and getting it out of the skillet. I am thinking if I had 2 small pans that I could have easily removed or served in the skillet. I also am worried that I may have damaged my very expensive AlClad skillet with cutting it in the skillet as I could not life the pit out. My review is more of a warning to anyone who thinks they can do it the way I did. Don't!
Sep 29, 2017
Made this for supper tonight! I use my bread machine more than any other kitchen appliance so I figured I'd try it with this recipe. Worked Perfectly!! Placed all the ingredients in the machine and used the dough setting but only let it rise for 30 minutes like the recipe said. Dough was beautiful! I made one large pizza instead of 2 and baked for 30 minutes at 450. Came out perfectly! This recipe is definitely a keeper!!! One of the best homemade pizza's I have had or made! I did not try the topping portion of the recipe (we did our own variation) so I can't rate/comment on that portion of the recipe.
Apr 12, 2017
Yummy! I used 1 cast iron skillet and 1 springform pan, both worked well. Pizza goes a long was as it is very filling.
Mar 26, 2017
Our family loved this pizza! It's really hearty and filling. Using the two skillets worked well.
Mar 19, 2017
I've been having more fun trying the recipes from the Feb/Mar 2017 TOH issue and this recipe is no exception. Everyone loved it. The spring form pans worked well. Absolutely yummy recipe!