Chicago-Style Pan Pizza
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder.
- Spoon over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 516 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1423mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 19, 2018
I made this with Pillsbury refrigerated thin pizza crust. I prebaked the crust for 5 minutes then followed directions (I added a diced green pepper). It was REALLY good but the crust was not crisp, a little soggy, but didn't ruin the result. I used half hot and half mild sausage. I used a 26 ounce box of POM tomatoes that i drained really well. i also simmered the veggie mixture a little to get rid of the liquid. Loved the flavor!
Mar 11, 2018
What an awesome recipe. I am a deep-dish pizza lover and this recipe is the best. I like to add a little cornmeal to the bottom of the pan before I add my dough. I also like to cook the dough for about 5 minutes before I add the ingredients. After Italians sausage I add pepperonis and I like to add tomatoe paste and sauce to the diced tomatoes (after I have sweetened up the sauce a bit). Before I add the final layer of cheese (parmesan), I like to add mozerella then parmesan.
Oct 25, 2016
I've made this several times with great results. Most recently I added about a cup of pizza sauce to the tomato mixture and it was great!
Apr 30, 2016
This recipe is one of our new favorites. I've made it using pizza sauce instead of the tomatoes as well as added green peppers. It still turns out very tasty.
Jan 14, 2012
Very good. Not as heavy as a pizza as I expected. We left out the fennel seed because it is not one of our favorites. Will definitely make again.
Jun 8, 2011
Very good and filling. I used 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 mild Italian sausage. Make sure you drain the tomatoes really good, or you'll have water standing on top of the pizza.
Mar 29, 2011
My husband is in Afghanistan currently. He is a huge pizzaholic! I'm excited to make this for him when he comes home. It was excellent! Experimenting w/ toppings will be fun! :)
Feb 26, 2011
I have made this 3 times and now and it is wonderful. Very easy to make and you can even mix it up a little with the toppings. Will be making this for years to come!
Aug 19, 2010
Verry Good! My hubby loved it and wants me to put it on my "cook often" list. I had a hard time getting the dough to spread, any suggestions?
Mar 30, 2010
Not a fan of frozen bread dough. Used pizza dough from my local italian market. Pressing the dough in the pan was easier than rolling out. Loved the combo of sausage and muchrooms. Living in a suburb of Chicago, I can tell you this recipe is a close second.