Chicago-Style Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 12 Italian rolls, split
- 1 jar (16 ounces) giardiniera, drained
- Cut roast in half; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a food processor, combine the mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic and oregano. Cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to slow cooker. Combine beef broth and base; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef on buns; top with giardiniera.
Editor's NoteLook for beef base near the broth and bouillon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 450 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 1101mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Jun 17, 2016
This is a winning recipe. This flavor of the broth was over the top, I think because of the beef base and of course the veggies. I snuck mushrooms by the hubby in this one and he loved it. Try this one, it’s great and easy to prepare.
Jul 9, 2013
While I can't speak to the authenticity of this recipe (having only had the "authentic" version a couple of times), my husband and I found this recipe really YUMMY! Would definitely recommend! :)
Jun 30, 2013
Mile High Shredded Beef is much better!
Jun 5, 2013
This was so yummy and very easy to make. Had some leftovers and some leftover broth that I strained and froze to use the next time I need beef broth or stock.
Jul 1, 2012
That is very good point, frazzel, Chicago beef is never shredded but as home cooks, most of use do not have a meat slicer that can slice the beef paper thin as it should be. Shredding for us is the next best thing. Very good recipe. We all enjoyed it.
Jun 29, 2012
This was a big hit! Very good and easy! Don't even need the Giardiniera, but it was good with the meat. I forgot the buns but nobody seemed to mind. Will make it again the next time we have family in from out of town. It was gone before the end of the evening.
May 24, 2012
Thank you so much for this recipe. I have been missing the Chicago style beef sandwiches and this was delicious. I also dip my bread in the beef broth and if you do not like giardiniera you can add green peppers. I loved it and my husband wants it once a week now.
May 23, 2012
Also Chicago style sandwiches are NEVER shredded.
May 23, 2012
I think you've been away from Chicago too long. We never made them like this.
May 22, 2012
For those who want to make their own "Giardiniera" here a quickie. This is one that the more time the goodies sit together, the better it gets.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/homemade-hot-giardiniera-recipe/index.html
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.