Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
I developed a love for Chicago's deep-dish pizzas while attending college in the Windy City. This simple recipe relies on frozen bread dough, so I can indulge in the mouthwatering sensation without leaving home.—Nikki MacDonald, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over dough. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder. Spoon over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 786 calories, 38g fat (15g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 2110mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Chicago-Style Pan Pizza in The Taste of Home Cookbook 1st edition
Apr 17, 2012
This recipe instantly became a favorite! I added red & green peppers for some additional nutritional value. Even my 2-year old asked for seconds. Definitely making this again.