- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for 40-Minute Hamburger Buns
Sort By :
"Soooo delicious my family love it! great with or without egg!"
"So quick and easy to make! The rolls turned out delicious in under an hour!"
"Exactly what I was looking for! Keeper!!I can't cook/bake with egg, due to egg allergy, and yet another recipe turned out great with simply omitting the egg!Thank you for sharing your recipe!"
"Making bread, bagels and the like on a regular basis, I find this recipe is ideal for producing on a larger scale. Between a stand mixer and only two baking sheets and a regular-sizes oven, I find myself able to crank out about 3 dozen buns an hour if I use the baking time to mix the next batch.In term of finished product, I find the egg introduces a nice richness to these buns and I intend to experiment using a 1/2 cornmeal and 1/2 flour in the future."
"This is a great recipe, I am a pastry chef and bake bread weekly frequently. The change you need to make is rise for 45 min to an hour. Melt butter not thin just until melted and brush on top, need a delicate brush for this and sprinkle kosher salt after, bake 8 min. Let cool then slice gently bread knife. The density is due I see in the reviews is probably from the temp of water not being exact (110) for yeast to grow, the egg being cold slowing yeast, and the ten minute rising.After slicing spread mayo and toast in a hot pan on the inside sides yum!Tastes delicious!"