- 1 can (8 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 3/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk sugar, vinegar, oil and pepper; stir into bean mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
How can you make Three Bean Salad your own?To make Three Bean Salad your own, play around with the ingredients. Substitute drained and rinsed garbanzo beans or even thin fresh asparagus spears for the waxed beans. Not a fan of canned green beans? Use fresh or frozen; just be sure to blanch them first! For the kidney beans, feel free to use black beans instead. Or stir in chopped celery for added crunch.
Can you make Three Bean Salad ahead of time?Yes! You can make Three Bean Salad ahead of time. (Doing so actually helps the flavors blend better.) The salad will stay fresh in a covered container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
What can you serve with Three Bean Salad?You can serve many things with Three Bean Salad, including barbecued chicken, pork roast and grilled burgers.
—Julie Schnittka, Taste of Home Senior Editor
1 cup: 162 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.