Mixed Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 207 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 6, 2016
Have been looking for a recipe to copy one my grocery store, Dierbergs, made that I loved. This is it!!!
May 23, 2015
Hubby didn't think he would like this, but was pleasantly surprised that he did! I cut the sugar in half and it was still delicious. We both agreed that it could use a little more punch somehow, maybe from a fresh herb or a different vinegar.
Feb 26, 2013
This was great! For a change, use some chick peas and perhaps 1/2 red & 1/2 white kidney beans. Dressing does not overwhelm - which is great.
Apr 10, 2012
Very quick and easy too make. I made it for a salad luncheon and everyone thought it was wonderful.
Feb 20, 2012
This salad is way better than the ready-made (canned) 3-bean salads (from various brands) that you can buy in the store. Do yourself and your family a favor, go ahead and make this instead of buying a pre-made one. This serves more people, and tastes better, too.
Jul 21, 2011
Even though I don't care for canned vegetables, this was very good. The celery adds a nice crunch, and you can add in other fresh vegetables if you like--zucchini, pepper, cucumbers. If I make it again, I would cut the oil in half to cut some of the fat from an otherwise healthy salad. If you like "pickled" dishes, you'll like this!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.