Creamy Bean Salad
This hearty no-fuss salad is perfect for a family gathering. Dill pickles bring puckery flavor to the kidney beans that are dressed with sour cream...and celery adds a satisfying crunch. The recipe is from Dorothy Poch of Concord, New Hampshire.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large dill pickles, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, celery, sour cream, onion, pickles, salt and pepper; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Just before serving, top with the eggs.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 149 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Creamy Bean Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.