Southwestern Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, celery, onion, tomato and corn. In a small bowl, combine the salsa, oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt and cumin. Pour dressing over the bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover salad and chill for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Apr 30, 2018
It was really good as written, but it was really great when I added a can of diced jalapenos and 1 Tbs. of cilantro. My family likes things on the spicy side. We ate it as a salad and tried it as a dip too - works beautifully both ways.
Apr 16, 2018
This makes a big batch so it would be good for potlucks or reunions. I ate it as a salad & my son is eating it as a dip.
May 16, 2015
All i can say is yum. Will be making this again. Everyone enjoyed it.
Sep 14, 2014
I have been making this recipe since I found it in the magazine years and years ago! We love it!
May 27, 2013
I've used this recipe many times and it is always a big hit. When my family does a beach day or weekend I always make this and potato salad. The bean salad can be eaten as a meal in itself or as a side with sandwiches or atop a salad as pictured on the recipe. I triple the recipe as I have a large family and it keeps in the fridge nicely, but I couldn't say for how long since it always disappears too quickly! (I've even topped scrambled eggs or tortilla chips with it) YUM!
Mar 15, 2013
I have been makeing this receipe since 1995.
Jul 28, 2010
I didn't have quite enough salsa, so added some creamy salsa ranch bottled dressing and half a diced zucchini. I also omitted the corn, which some people in my family can't eat. This is a yummy recipe!
Jun 14, 2010
Tastes very good and my mother-in-law who usually doesn't like bean salad loved it . Our family agrees that it tastes better the next day.
Nov 14, 2009
I've made this recipe for years. I love it, and have received compliments if I take it to a picnic. I also enjoy this salad in pita bread.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.