Barbecued Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/2 hours + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle, cover beans with water; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; return to the kettle. Cover with water again and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Drain and rinse beans; place in a large bowl and cool to room temperature. Add the onion, peppers and corn; toss.
- In a saucepan, combine all dressing ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Cover and chill.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 138 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 4, 2016
Frankly, chilled BBQ beans didn't really sound so great, but the good reviews encouraged me to try it. I didn't wait for them to be chilled, but had a taste while they were still a bit warm. Wonderful! I used a red onion in mine, but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Do try this dish!
Jan 18, 2012
I took this side dish to a 4-H banquet and it was a hit. We absolutely love these beans!
Sep 2, 2010
This was a big hit with the guys at our latest barbecue. The gals liked it too, and even the kids ate lots of it.