Alfresco Bean Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Chill until serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 146 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Mar 21, 2015
Been making this for years, and it is always a hit. I don't change anything except maybe not quite as much onion. Eat it with tortilla chips, and it' s a meal for us. Even some of my kids like it!
Mar 16, 2013
This is really good. I didn't have fresh cilantro so I used a small amount of dried, plus fresh chopped parsley.
Jan 19, 2013
It was amazing! I added a little Tapatio to it and It was AMAZING!
Jun 30, 2012
This is a terrific salad and such a nice change from the usual three-bean salad. I usually leave out the onion and just add a little dried minced onion to the dressing. I left out the jalapeno, also, and substituted great northern beans for the garbanzos, which I do not care for. I think a chopped avocado, added at the last minute, would be a nice addition to this, but have not tried it.
Apr 8, 2012
I made this without the tomatoes which probably took away from the appeal of the dish. If I make it again, I will definitely add tomatoes.
Jul 20, 2011
We added a splash of apple cider vinegar for just a little more flavor in the dressing-awesome results!
Jul 2, 2011
I am not a bean eater but I made this and it was great! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe.
Apr 25, 2011
Made this for a luncheon at work and received so many compliments. This definitely makes a lot to go around.
Aug 12, 2010
Quite good. I substituted fresh basil for the cilantro as I'm growing basil. And I added a can of diced chilis and diced fresh green pepper. Also a few drops of hot tabasco as we like things a bit spicier. The nice thing about this recipe is you can add or detract whatever you like!
Aug 11, 2010
This sounds so yummy, but would anybody have a suggestion for a substitute for the cilantro. Thanks