Savory Bean & Tomato Salad
Garlic and blue cheese in the dressing really perk up green beans and tomatoes. Carol Gano sends this recipe from her home in Ballwin, Missouri.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 6 medium tomatoes (about 2 pounds), sliced
- 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh savory leaves
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place beans in ice water.
- Drain and pat dry. Cut into 2-in. pieces. Divide the tomatoes, green onions and cut green beans among six salad plates.
- For dressing, in a blender, combine the lime juice, blue cheese, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Drizzle over salads. Sprinkle with pine nuts and savory.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Tomato, Savory and French Bean Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.