Bean Sprout Spinach Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a serving bowl, toss the spinach, bean sprouts, bacon and green onions. Drizzle with 1/2 cup salad dressing; toss to coat. Garnish with egg slices and sunflower kernels. Serve immediately. Refrigerate remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 342 calories, 32g fat (5g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 8, 2013
We loved this combination of veggies and additions. Our favorite thing, though, was the dressing. This is the first time I have made a cooked dressing. It was so yummy. I put the remaining dressing in the fridge, but by the time the weekend was over it was gone because my boyfriend used extra on the salad and then used it to dip bread in as well as on several other things.
Feb 1, 2011
I have never actually gotten every single ingredient together to make this recipe as written, but the DRESSING has been my family's absolute favorite ever since it was published. I have come up with my own variation, using several tablespoons of oil (canola works fine) in a small saucepan to first brown the onions. I then add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar, remove from the stove, cool slightly and puree those ingredients in my blender. At the blender stage, you can temper the egg with the warm onion-vinegar combo and whip in the bender before slowly adding the remaining oil. The warm and creamy dressing is irresistable! Last night I made a vegan/eggless variation by omiting the egg and subsituting soy lecithin, xanthan gum for thickening and water, but I need to work out the correct proportions. We pour this dressing on any green salad.