Layered Garden Bean Salad
For easy entertaining, cover and refrigerate the salad a few hours before guests arrive so you don't have to bother with last-minute assembly. Turn it into a light lunch by adding sliced rotisserie chicken, salmon or tuna. —Melissa Wharton, Cincinnati, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes16 servings (1 cup each)
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 English cucumbers, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ranch salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- In a 4-qt. glass bowl, layer the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, mix salad dressing and cumin seeds; drizzle over salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 93 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Layered Garden Salad in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2014